Maturity Rating: TV-MA
Trigger Warning: This post contains language about sexual assault, suicidal ideation, bullying, and substance use that some readers may find disturbing.
Clay Jensen, a Liberty High School student, tries to piece together the events leading up to the death of his friend Hannah Baker. Before dying by suicide, she recorded a set of tapes chronicling her experiences with a number of other classmates. Each of her friends listens to the tapes to discover how they impacted Hannah’s life. The series follows each of her friends and their stories and uncovers many secrets to classmates that never wanted to be revealed.
If you or someone you know is contemplating suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at
1-800-273-8255 or text Crisis Text Line at 741-741.
- In the Season 1 finale they show Hannah’s death by suicide. This is a hard scene to watch. Why do you think the writers put the scene in the show?
- There are many counts of sexual assault shown and talked about in this season. If someone you know is being sexually assaulted how can you help them? How can you support a friend going through this?
- How can schools help students when they feel depressed?
- What can the students do to help schools stay accountable in caring for the wellbeing of their students?
- Who can you talk to if you are feeling depressed or suicidal?